Monday, December 26, 2011

Greed


Title: Greed
Year: 1924
Country: USA
Director: Erich Von Stroheim
Producer: Louis B. Mayer
Genre: Drama
Runtime: 140 minutes
Viewed: December 26, 2011

Review: Let's start with the fact that finding this movie with English subtitles seemed impossible, I stumbled upon it eventually though. While watching silent films is something that I am still not a big fan of, my attention was kept by this film. It is simple to say that regardless of the year, the act of greed is something that can devastate someone's life, which is depicted well in this movie. It does not matter if you have a lot of money or no money, the goal to keep, hold on to, and gain more can eventually subdue your life. There were a couple of things specifically that I enjoyed about this movie, first the flashes of color (yellow) when the birds, gold, and tooth are shown. The second part of this movie that I really enjoyed and thought was done creatively was the fact that when the main character plays the accordion the music matches the song that he is playing. It may just be my opinion but I thought that if Will Ferrell was an actor in 1924 he very well could have been Gibson Gowland, looks wise.

Rating:
3 Shamrocks

Movie 22 down... 979 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment