Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Der Letzte Mann


Title: Der Letzte Mann - The Last Laugh
Year: 1924
Country: Germany
Director: F.W. Murnau
Producer: Erich Pommer
Genre: Drama
Runtime: 90 minutes
Viewed: December 28, 2011

Review: The positive? The film has been restored wonderfully. It has one of the clearest pictures thus far. The meaning of the movie is decent. A man finds self worth in his job and once he loses it he finds himself in a downward spiral. Not far off from many people's feelings and thoughts today who have to take jobs they would rather not be doing. The scene in the film where they tell him he has been demoted due to his "age and frailty" reminds me of a certain store (shall remain nameless, but I'm sure you can figure it out) that allows old people to have a job but really just greet you as you come in and leave the store. The negative? I thought the film was long for the story. It would appear the films that I rather enjoy are short while the ones I would prefer end swiftly go on for days. I know I'm in the minority on the fact that I thought it was long because I read many reviews saying it was a great film and not too long. However, I'd have to say it did not keep my attention for more then maybe about 30 minutes, if that. The other hour was me trying to focus but knowing already what was going to happen in the film.

Rating:
1.5 Shamrocks - While I did not enjoy it, I can see why film enthusiasts would.

Movie 24 down... 977 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment