Saturday, March 28, 2015

Napoléon

Title: Napoléon
Year: 1927
Country: France / Italy / Germany / Spain / Sweden / Czechoslovakia 
Director: Abel Gance
Producer: Robert A. Harris 
Genre: Drama
Runtime: 333 minutes
Viewed: March 28, 2015 

Review: Wow. Just wow. I do not know how 1001 Movies can write such a short excerpt about this movie when it is so long. Probably, because there isn't a lot to say about the story line. This movie is all about, you guessed it, Napoléon. I am sure there are individuals out there who love history and would love this movie. I however, don't really care for either. This is a long, tedious movie. It is worth noting, just as the book does, that the camera work is above and beyond what we have seen so far. Abel Gance was a cinematic genius in the way he filmed this movie, there is no doubt in my mind about that. However, no one, and I repeat no one, should ever make a movie that requires an intermission. In the amount of time I spent watching this movie, I could have read all about Napoléon online and been done with it in a maximum of 2 hours. Despite the camera work being phenomenal, I will never, ever again my life watch this movie. It's long and I found it incredibly boring. I honestly don't know what else to say about it, so I guess now I understand why so little is written in 1001 Movies article about the film. 

Rating:  
2 Shamrocks (only because of the film work) 

Movie 36 down... 965 to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment