Friday, April 3, 2015

The Kid Brother

Title: The Kid Brother
Year: 1927
Country: USA
Director: J.A. Howe & Ted Wilde
Producer: Jesse L. Lasky, Harold Lloyd, & Adolph Zukor
Genre: Comedy & Romance
Runtime: 82 minutes
Viewed: April 3, 2015 

Review: Yay! That's how I want to start this specific entry. I am so glad that I didn't just give up on my movies, particularly after the last one. Harold Lloyd is a funny guy. I don't much care for slapstick comedy, granted I have mildly found the movies with Buster Keaton funny. But this movie keeps your attention, despite it still being silent, and makes you laugh and cheer for Harold at the end.

I think part of the reason I struggle with silent films is a good amount of the time they don't catch my attention fast enough. It's like when you listen to music, or at least when I do, if I am not swept up in the first few lines, I'm out. The difference is, I change the song quickly, I don't turn off a movie. This movie though, catches your attention. I know that my family, even the ones who refuse to watch silent films, would enjoy this movie. It has something for everyone and that makes a classic.

The Kid Brother is relatable. Especially if you are the youngest in your family. Family dynamic is similar to, I'm sure, many families. The older brothers are "tough and rugged" but the younger brother is "goofy and unreliable." So of course, the young brother has to prove himself, and he does so for the entertainment of all. 1001 Movies mentions that there are two scenes which show Harold's athleticism, the first of which is when he climbs a tree to get a longer look at this lady and the second is a fight that happens. Both scenes just aid to keep the viewers attention. I have to say, I actually enjoyed this movie.

Rating:
4 Shamrocks

Movie 37 down... 965 to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment