Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Jazz Singer

Title: The Jazz Singer 
Year: 1927
Country: USA
Director: Alan Crosland 
Genre: Drama
Oscars: Alfred A. Cohen; Jack Jarmuth (honorary award for pioneering talking pictures) 
Oscar Nominations: Alfred A. Cohn (screenplay) 
Runtime: 88 minutes 
Viewed: March 21, 2015 

Review: I have never in my life been so happy to hear speaking roles in a movie! Let's not get carried away though, we still haven't seen a film where there is talking throughout. But, this is the first step in that direction and it even included singing. Now, I have seen The Jazz Singer from 1952 probably over twenty times, the reason being my mom loves the movie, but this was my first time seeing the original. I would have to say that I was pleased! It really is a sad story initially of a young man wanting to follow his passion for jazz and his father's battle with accepting his wants. I think the best part about this movie is it is so relatable for anyone who has wanted to do something their parents didn't think was best I'm sure at one point or another we've all been there, having to make a choice between what we want for ourselves and what our parents want for us. This is that tale and it has a happy ending. I really couldn't be happier to finally had a movie with speaking/singing. I am a bit surprised however that it was not considered a musical, I would have thought not only would Jack Jarmuth been accredited for the first talking picture but also for the first musical. That's just my personal opinion. 

Rating: 
3 Shamrocks 

Movie 35 down... 966 to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment