Friday, August 19, 2011

The Thief of Bagdad


Title: The Thief of Bagdad
Year: 1924
Country: USA
Director: Raoul Walsh
Producer: Douglas Fairbanks
Genre: Action & Adventure
Runtime: 139 minutes
Viewed: July 2011

Review: In short, this is the movie that Disney took the entire idea for Aladdin. A lot of the movies visually are becoming clearer, but for me this one had an obvious different, it was very clear. Granted that could just be the way it had been restored and so forth. This is the first movie that I recall having mythical creatures in it, which was fun. There is a scene with a spider and it appears as if it is happening under water, the whole thing throws any viewer for a loop because it is technologically very advanced. I can honestly say I have no idea how this scene was produced but due to the time it was made it had me extremely captivated. Following the idea that this is where Disney got the idea for Aladdin it tells the story of a "street rat" falling in love for and competing for the princess against the mean, more powerful king. There is even a flying carpet, which is also well done for it being 1924. Being that I enjoy the movie Aladdin I did like this movie, the only problem I had with it was how long it was.

Rating:
3.5 Shamrocks

Movie 20 down... 981 to go!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I would really like to use this article's film illustration for a project at university in Germany about Orientalism (Aladdin story). I would like to kindly ask for your permission to reproduce/ use this material. This project will not be published or anything, but would be of great use in one class for one digital presentation at university only. It will not be published.
    I am a German student, I study English to become a teacher for secondary schools. Kind regards, Paula.

    ReplyDelete