Friday, August 19, 2011

La Roue


Title: La Roue - The Wheel
Year: 1923
Country: France
Director: Abel Gance
Producer: Abel Gance & Charles Pathé
Genre: Drama
Runtime: 273 minutes
Viewed: July 2011

Review: Honestly, I don't know what to say about this movie other then it is extremely odd. It definitely seems like the 1923 version of what is currently a soap opera. So and so falls in love with so and so, but way the twist is that's his sister, but not really! I am guessing in 1923 this plot was not as common and probably quite scandalous. That being said there were a couple unique things to this movie. The first being the daydream that appeared to have existed in a different era. It was as if the time the daydream took place was completely different from the time the movie took place which was interesting. There was the fortune telling scene which honestly I did not understand and so my response to it was what is the point to this scene? There were a lot of special effects in this movie which definitely helped me pay attention more then I would have otherwise, including one scene that was reminisce of The Matrix. Overall, I did not enjoy this movie but could see why it was important to put in the 1001 Movies book.

Rating:
2 Shamrocks

Movie 19 down... 982 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment